Veggie Drawer Soup
2 hours | Serves - 4-6
Use up any veggie with this recipe, there is no right or wrong to this soup it’s really versatile and easy to modify depending on the ingredients you have to hand. This recipe is brought to you by Little Portland Street Cookery School
Once the soup has been cooked, to make a real meal of it, a tin of baked beans of any other tinned pulse (or leftover rice) can be used.
Herbs, parsley is recommended
Soup stock (meat/veggie)
Salt and pepper to season
• Fry onion and/or leeks and/or spring onions in a few good slugs of olive oil until golden brown. Then add some garlic if possible and fry too until just transparent.
• Add any root veg and fry gently for a minute or two.
• Add either water or meat and/or chicken stock or veg stock and bottom of the fridge veg. Hold the soft green veg and lettuce back to add lastly.
• Add the remainder of the green vegetables and season with salt and pepper.
• Continue to cook until the vegetables are just al dente.
• If you want a chunky soup, eat as it is. If a smoother soup is required, then use a hand blitzer or food processor until desired texture is achieved.
• Hand around a bowl of grated Parmesan cheese or serve with pesto/pistou which makes the soup extra green and even more delicious.