Savoury Bread and Butter pudding
2 hours | Serves - 4-6
You will be surprised at how delicious this is and it is a great way to use up a variety of leftovers. This recipe is brought to you by Little Portland Street Cookery School
Make sure your leftover ingredients are chopped up in small cubes for the best result.
6 slices of leftover bread
500ml whole milk
75g softened butter
Any leftover cheese, sausage, cold meat, salami, fish, cooked vegetables, herbs
salt and pepper to season
an onion chopped and fried until golden in olive oil or leeks or spring onions fried
chopped herbs of choice
• Butter the bread and place into a baking dish that will hold about 750ml of liquid. We use one that is 26cm x 20cm x 5cm
• Sprinkle over a choice of cubed/cut up leftovers of choice.
• We always add an onion, chopped and fried until golden brown, for extra flavour.
• Beat the eggs lightly and season with salt and pepper.
• While whisking, slowly pour the cold milk over the beaten eggs until all the milk has been beaten in to form a smooth cold mixture.
• Strain this mixture into a large jug. Straining help ensure a smooth custard with no bits in it.
• Pour this mixture over the buttered bread and choice of leftover ingredients.
• Allow the dish to stand for at least an hour (better in the fridge) during which time the bread will absorb some of the egg and milk mixture.
• When ready to cook, place it in a bain marie in the oven at 150ºC/300ºF for 45 minutes or test it to check that a knife inserted into the pudding comes out clean.
• Serve warm or at room temperature.