Once the soup has been cooked, to make a real meal of it, a tin of baked beans of any other tinned pulse (or leftover rice) can be used.
Herbs, parsley is recommended
Soup stock (meat/veggie)
Salt and pepper to season
• Fry onion and/or leeks and/or spring onions in a few good slugs of olive oil until golden brown. Then add some garlic if possible and fry too until just transparent.
• Add any root veg and fry gently for a minute or two.
• Add either water or meat and/or chicken stock or veg stock and bottom of the fridge veg. Hold the soft green veg and lettuce back to add lastly.
• Add the remainder of the green vegetables and season with salt and pepper.
• Continue to cook until the vegetables are just al dente.
• If you want a chunky soup, eat as it is. If a smoother soup is required, then use a hand blitzer or food processor until desired texture is achieved.
• Hand around a bowl of grated Parmesan cheese or serve with pesto/pistou which makes the soup extra green and even more delicious.