You can make this using a frying pan/griddle or in the oven!
3 Cos or similar lettuce sliced length ways in half
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
• Heat a griddle or frying pan so that it becomes very hot and test by holding your hand close to it. It is sufficiently hot when you are unable to hold your hand comfortably about 4"/10cm from the pan.
• Pour the olive oil over the lettuce halves so that they are well coated.
• Place the lettuce halves onto the heated griddle and allow to brown. Press down on them with a wide spatula to help them make good contact with the pan. The leaves will wilt as they cook. Once browned, turn over with a pair of tongs and grill the other side of the lettuce too.
• Remove from the grill and place each half lettuce on a plate.
• Drizzle over a good dressing of choice.
• Serve straight away.
• Alternatively, the lettuce can be grilled under an oven grill. In this case, heat a large baking tray under the grill and make sure that the grill unit is very hot before using.
• Again, ensure that the lettuce is well oiled and then place the lettuce halves onto the heated baking tray. Place under the grill and allow to grill. Then turn over and do the other side. Serve as with the lettuce prepared on a hob griddle/pan.